SoFA isn’t just about arts and entertainment. The SoFA District is also home to the Santa Clara Valley AIA, as well as architecture and design firms with national and international reach. The 2016 SoFA Design Crawl will publicly recognize and celebrate these creative talents in a fun and exciting event.
Design firms will open their offices to showcase their work with boards, models, and other displays during a self-guided walk. The Pierce apartments, developed by Sares Regis, will open for tours, galleries MACLA and San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles will host open houses, and Preservation Action Council will share their work in the historic 1918 Boschken Hardware, now Uproar Brewing. Each venue will serve light appetizers and drinks. The goal is to stimulate public conversations about architecture, product and urban design, and create a new means of connecting community members with the design talent in the region.
Check in will be at the offices of Metro Silicon Valley newspaper, located at 380 S 1st St. Registrants will be given a wristband that can be marked off at the participating locations. Registrants can drop off their wristband with ten marks to be entered in a drawing for night out in SoFA.
This year’s featured participants:
- Aedis Architects http://www.aedisarchitects.com/
- Decca Design, http://www.decdesign.com/
- Elemental8, product design and brand experience http://www.elemental8.com
- FFW Agency https://ffwagency.com/
- MACLA, Pattern Recognition exhibit, http://maclaarte.org/
- Metro.Agency http://www.metroactive.com/
- Preservation Action Council http://www.preservation.org/
- The Pierce Apartments, developed by Sares Regis, http://www.thepierce.com/
- San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, http://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/
- San Jose State University Department of Design, http://www.sjsu.edu/design/
- Santa Clara Valley American Institute of Architects - http://aiascv.org/
- Signet, digital media and display solutions http://signet.tv/
- The Core Companies, http://www.thecorecompanies.com/
- Whipsaw, Industrial Design & Engineering, http://www.whipsaw.com/
Sponsors of the event
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The Hewlett Foundation, The City of San Jose Office of Cultural Affairs, Decca Design, FFW Agency, MACLA, Metro Newspapers, SPUR, The Core Companies, The Pierce Apartments, Uproar Brewery, Signet TV, and Whipsaw.
Austin’s legendary SXSW will hold its first official Silicon Valley meetup at the closing of the C2SV technology conference in San Jose on October 7.
The Meet Up will bring together past South by Southwest attendees and presenters from throughout the Bay Area to network and socialize as well as introduce the festival to people interested in attending.
Austin Nauert will also be on hand to discuss changes for the 2017 season, share exciting announcements regarding the March Conference and Festival and answer questions.